About Me

I love to keep things fresh. Boredom makes me cringe. I believe in perseverance. Anything new and different inspires me. Photos and stories contained on this blog are my own. I create the majority of my recipes featured as well. If I adapt a recipe or find a great one to share from another source, I will give credit where it is due and a link to the original if at all possible. Please ask prior to using photos, writings and recipes and if using, please link to to the original source. Peace and Happy Blogging!

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Recipe Alert: Salty-Sweet Maple Walnuts...Quick'n e.z.

Recipe Alert:  Salty-Sweet Maple Walnuts
These can be used as a topping for ice cream, yogurt or oatmeal, on a salad or even better, eaten just as they are and right away.  They are candied and delicious!  We received a tin of them as a gift from a friend two years ago for Christmas.  They were devoured on the hour long drive home.  I begged for the recipe, received it and then lost it before I could ever make them. 

Today was a great day though because as I was organizing my overstuffed recipe keepsake book, I came across it.  Yes, finding this recipe definitely killed my mission of organizing and redefined a new mission instantly:  Must make Salty, Sweet Maple Walnuts.  There now, brain reprogrammed or short circuited if you want to call it that.  My recipe book still looks like hell, but now I know where my Salty, Sweet Maple Walnuts recipe is:  mission accomplished.

This recipe is Michael Chiarello's version, only difference is the extra sprinkling of salt at the end.  He's the host of Food Network's Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello.  Do like I did and try a small batch first to test the recipe.  Depending upon your stovetop burners and the pan that you use, you don't want to overcook a full batch, even though they will still taste delicious, just won't be as pretty. 

Walnuts and Maple Syrup are just that, walnuts and maple syrup.  But salt is not just salt when you look at the many varieties of artisanal salts available.  I used HimalaSalt, which came in the shape of a cube called the "Zen Cube".  It is a beautiful pink color and I purchased it some time ago from my local Fresh Market grocery store.  It is salty-sweet which to me is perfect for this recipe.  Nevermind if you don't have this on hand and/or don't want to purchase it, any salt will do and will taste delicious. 

Make them and if you have any ideas about what else to use them in combination with, please add them in the comment section at the end of this post.  I would love to try a new recipe of yours and other readers would too.

Salty-Sweet Maple Walnuts

Servings:  Makes 2 cups

Hardware required:  Medium sized skillet.  Nonstick would probably be great, but I used regular stainless steel. Baking sheet for cooling.

Ingredients:
2 cups of halved Walnuts
1/3 Cup of REAL Maple Syrup
1/8 Tsp Salt (plus a little more to lightly sprinkle over when done.)


Preheat dry skillet over medium-high heat.
Add ingredients and stir frequently  until syrup is carmelized and nuts are toasted, about 3 minutes (could be less depending upon your stovetop heat)
Transfer, add a light sprinkling of salt, and let cool on a baking sheet.

                                
Done! 
Yummy, easy and addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you are thinking!