About Me

I love to keep things fresh. Boredom makes me cringe. I believe in perseverance. Anything new and different inspires me. Photos and stories contained on this blog are my own. I create the majority of my recipes featured as well. If I adapt a recipe or find a great one to share from another source, I will give credit where it is due and a link to the original if at all possible. Please ask prior to using photos, writings and recipes and if using, please link to to the original source. Peace and Happy Blogging!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"What's For Dinner Wednesday?" Grilled Cheese with Fresh Spinach and Dijon Mustard.

Holy Cow this is truly a lickety split recipe.  It'll be done in a jiffy!  Really, I panicked yesterday as I was getting ready for work when I thought, for a second, that it was Wednesday and I had forgotten to post my "What's For Dinner Wednesday?" recipe.  That always happens when there is a holiday during the week.  I am off track and just can't seem to get the day right all week.  But then I remembered that it was actually Tuesday, June 1, my stepdaughter's 21st birthday.


21, the new 18. My 18th birthday was the absolute best birthday ever, no not only because of the drinking age, club entry age and new boyfriend at the time, but because it was my last day of highschool forever. Gosh how I hated high school. It was a great day with no stress, except for the Chemistry Final Exam that morning. I passed. The end. So I wish Catherine all the best for many many birthdays that mark the years of a positive and interesting life of fulfillment. Make them count! Lots of love to you from me.

Beginning tomorrow we have family coming to visit.  We're really looking forward to it, and so we have to do a little more than normal.  That's my explanation for a super quick recipe today.  It's quick, but it's really good too.  A win-win.

RECIPE:  Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Fresh Spinach and Dijon Mustard on Whole Grain Bread


Nest Essentials:  A skillet and spatula.  That's it.

Ingredients for 2 sandwiches:


4 slices of nice whole grain sandwich bread
Olive oil for spreading on one side of each slice
Dijon Mustard
Sharp Cheddar Cheese, enough slices to cover the bread and sliced about 1/3" thick
Fresh Baby Spinach, a handful


Method:
1)  Heat the skillet on Medium Heat.
2)  Spread Olive Oil on one side of each slice of bread.












3)  Spread Dijon Mustard on the other side of each slice of bread.
4)  Lay one or two slices of bread on the skillet, oiled side down.
5)  Top with Cheddar Cheese slices.











6)  Place Spinach leaves on top.














7)  The finish off with the last slices of bread, Mustard side down.
8)  Grill until golden brown.  If it's cooking too fast, turn down the heat.  You want time for the cheese to get nice and gooey.
9)  Flip and cook until the other side is golden brown.
10)  Remove from heat and slice in half.










Optional sides:  Tomato Soup (I love Progresso's Vegetable Classics Hearty Tomato Soup with this.  They make two versions, so be sure to get the Hearty Tomato.  It's delicious when 2/3 cups of beef broth is added to it and then it is reduced back to original thickness.  Give it a shot!)  Or, even simpler, fresh sliced oranges are very nice with this.


Enjoy your week!

4 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

wow....great bread, mustard, good cheese, and OMZG spinach!!! what a wonderful idea! I have to try it for sure!

Lisa Avant said...

Thanks Chef Dennis. It's a great quick snack too.

Carolyn said...

This looks like a great, different version of grilled cheese. I'll be sure to try it soon.

Mr Martin said...

Why dont my Grilled Cheese look that good?! I saw someone use mayo once, not bad.

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you are thinking!