About Me

I love to keep things fresh. Boredom makes me cringe. I believe in perseverance. Anything new and different inspires me. Photos and stories contained on this blog are my own. I create the majority of my recipes featured as well. If I adapt a recipe or find a great one to share from another source, I will give credit where it is due and a link to the original if at all possible. Please ask prior to using photos, writings and recipes and if using, please link to to the original source. Peace and Happy Blogging!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Recipe! Bananas and Pineapple + Almost too ripe = Tropical Fruit and Nut Cake

Earlier Today I wrote this:
I'm in a slight predicament.  I have three over-ripe bananas and a very ripe pineapple sitting here and am wondering what to make?  If you're feeling innovative, any ideas?  I'm thinking and will let you know by editing this post later on.  Obviously I could do Banana Bread or Pineapple Upside down cake.  Classic and so good.  But maybe I'll try something a little different?  Not sure.  Stay tuned because it will definitely result in at least one recipe!   

    And What Exactly resulted you ask?
    Tropical Fruit and Nut Cake!!!



I have to admit that it came out very good. It was an experimental concoction and when those happen, every 3 out of 5 tries are flops. After consulting my brother, I came away a little hesistant about whether or not this would work. He just so happened to call to say hello. When I said "Hey Al, I have some over-ripe bananas and a pineapple that's ready too." He responded, "So you're making banana bread?" Then I replied, "No, I want to make something combining both. It will be kind of tropical, you know, with the bananas and pineapple and I'll add some coconut." And he concluded, " I don't know Lis, banana bread seems more country to me." Laughing to myself, I'm still not sure what he meant by that! Possibly an attempt at a polite hint/warning that my idea of Tropical wasn't the way to go, just stick to the classics? I love my brother! He's the best. He loves fishing and tennis and graphic design and finance and other things. But he is not much into cooking or any food that veers even slightly away from Classic American, unless it's Italian and maybe some Mexican.

The end result was that I thought about what to bake all day and decided to go for it. I'm glad I did. My version was a little too sweet, so I cut back the sugar in the recipe that I wrote. I would recommend Pecans or Macadamia Nuts too. I'll definitely make this again!

Recipe: Tropical Fruit and Nut CakeBanana, Pineapple, Coconut and Pecans in a Sweet Vanilla Cake. A Lisa Avant original.

Prep Time: 20 Minutes. Cooking Time: 1 Hour. Cooling Time: 30-40 minutes minimally.

Hardware: I used a Tube Cake Pan because I didn't have a Bundt Cake Pan and because the Tube Cake Pan has a removable bottom that I thought would be easier to get the cake onto the platter in one piece. You could also use a regular cake pan if you want. An Electric mixer with a whisk attachment really comes in handy. You'll be fine though if all you have is a hand mixer with beaters.

Ingredients:
1 Cup Pecans or Macadamia Nuts, Chopped
2/3 Cup Flaked Sweetened Coconut
2 Cups of Banana Puree
1 1/4 Cups Fresh Pineapple Finely Chopped (or you can substitute the canned crushed pineapple drained)
2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt

1 Stick Unsalted Butter (softened at room temperature)
3/4 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs (nearly at room temperature)
1 tsp pure Vanilla extract


Method:
1) Preheat the oven to 350F Degrees.
2) Butter and Flour your baking pan. Set aside.
3) In a medium bowl, Whisk the Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt together.
4) Using electric mixer and the mixer bowl, Cream the Butter and Sugar using the whisk attachment. Add the eggs, one at a time. Be sure to beat with the whisk attachment in between each addition.

It will look like this:




5) Alternating between the two and mixing between each addition, add 1/2 of the flour mixture (mix to incorporate) and 1/2 of the banana puree (mix to incorporate) and the last 1/2 of the flour mixture (mix) and the last 1/2 of the banana puree (mix). Add in Vanilla Extract.

Here's the banana puree ( I just mashed them real good):



6) Fold into the batter the Finely Chopped Pineapple, Flaked Coconut, and Pecans or Macadamia Nuts.
Here's the Finely Chopped Pineapple:


7) Pour into your Cake Pan and Bake at 350F Degrees for about an hour. It will be golden brown and when ready will spring back when touched lightly. Also, a knife will come out clean. Cool in pan for approximately 15 minutes. Trace the outer edges with a butter knife to loosen. Place a baking rack over and quickly flip over. Then invert back onto a cake plate or platter and slice to serve once cooled.
Here it is straight out of the oven:


And here it is on the removable bottom:



And Last but not least, Finally on the platter



*** Now I just need to figure out if I should Frost this or Glaze it or Powder Sugar it or just leave it as is. I can't make up my mind. It goes great with Vanilla Ice Cream, Coffee or Cold Milk.








5 comments:

mr. pineapple man said...

yum!! great recipe~

Lisa Avant said...

Yes, very good. Let me know if you test it out! Thanks for posting Mr. Pineapple Man. Just curious, how did you find this site anyway? Was it the pineapple? Love it!

Mr Martin said...

It's alive! Congrats on your creation! This Al guy needs to get out more....hahaha

Regards,
Robert Allan

Unknown said...

Looks great! I bet it would be nice with cream-cheese frosting.

Lisa Avant said...

Thank you Al! Love ya. You're the best!

Megan, you're right. I was thinking about a good cream chees frosting. I'm definitely going to try a few good versions of this cake now that I created the recipe. Maybe a Carrot cake version? Thanks for your suggestion. Love your blog by the way. Immediately saw recipes that I am going to try.

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you are thinking!