About Me

I love to keep things fresh. Boredom makes me cringe. I believe in perseverance. Anything new and different inspires me. Photos and stories contained on this blog are my own. I create the majority of my recipes featured as well. If I adapt a recipe or find a great one to share from another source, I will give credit where it is due and a link to the original if at all possible. Please ask prior to using photos, writings and recipes and if using, please link to to the original source. Peace and Happy Blogging!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

As Promised, the Lemon Butter Cake Recipe AND introducing "What's for Dinner Wednesday"

Hello Dear Friends!

So, we officially wiped out the Lemon Butter Cake in less than a full day.  I know what my household is capable of doing to good food, especially the sweet stuff, so a few lucky folks at the office got to taste a square.  They were just not satisfied with the serving size though, I guess it was just a tease.  You'll see what why they felt that way when you make this!

This has that "old-fashioned homemade" sorta taste.  Let your elders taste it and see what they say.  Or, if you're the lucky elder, let me know if this truly does remind you of a good old-fashioned homemade cake. 

Alrighty then!  Here's the recipe, which comes from the April 2009 Gourmet Magazine.  It's officially called "Lemon-Glazed Butter Cake."  I know that it is from an older issue, but this is nothing.  Eventually you'll see some recipes from magazines almost 10 years old.  I'm not stretching the truth by saying that I keep my old magazines in an Armoire (that's almost full).

RECIPE:  Lemon-Glazed Butter Cake

Hardware:  Very simple, an 8 by 2 inch cake pan. 

Head's Up:  Let butter and eggs sit out for 30 minutes or so before getting started. 

Make Ahead:  At a minimum, give this cake 3 hours from start to finish if serving same day.  The active prep time is only about 15 minutes.  This allows for preparation, baking and cooling time.  You can also make this cake the day ahead, just do not refrigerate.  Honestly, we ate the cake as soon as it was glazed, well before three hours, and it was total lemon delight!

Ingredients:
Butter and flour for your baking pan
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Rounded 1/4 tsp salt (you can omit this if you use salted butter)
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp whole milk
1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter, softened (or is using salted, omit the salt above)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature 30 minutes
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

Optional Garnish:  Two or three thin slices of lemon ( I used a mandoline to make them almost see through).  Take off prior to serving.

Method:
Preheat Oven to 350F Degrees 

1.  Butter and flour your cake pan.  (Parchment paper works wonders for baking!  Your cake will come out of the pan so easily.  If you use it, cut the paper to fit in the bottom of the pan.  Butter the pan and then place parchment paper at the bottom.  Then butter the paper and flour the inside and sides.) 
2.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.  Stir together milk, zest, and vanilla in a small seperate bowl.
3.  Beat together butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy.  I like to use the whisk attachment to aerate the butter/sugar mixture but the paddle attachment is perfectly fine.  If using a handheld mixer, I'm sure the beaters would work fine too.  Just make sure it is very pale and fluffy.
4.  Add the eggs ONE AT A TIME beating well after each addition.  If using the whisk attachment previously, I switch to the paddle attachment prior to adding the eggs.
5.  At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the milk mixture.  Don't rush it.  Mix each addition individually until each addition is just incorporated.
6.  Pour batter into cake pan, smooth top, then gently tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles (I myself always forget this step for some reason, which may explain the few small indentions in my cake)
7.  Bake until golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 35- 40 minutes.  Oven temperatures vary so begin checking it at 30 minutes.  If you press gently on the top and it springs back, it's ready.
8.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
9.  In the meantime, Make the Glaze.  Whisk together confectioners sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
10.  Turn out cake onto a rack set over a baking sheet or a pretty platter.  Run your fingers around the edges to brush any loose crumbs off.  Invert the cake onto the baking sheet or platter. 
11.  Drizzle the glaze over the cake, a little at a time and lightly smooth top and sides with a pastry brush.  If you have to, you could probably use a butter knife or a cake froster.  Cool Completely and Devour.












New Weekly Addition:  What's for Dinner Wednesday. 
Weekdays call for quick, healthy and easy throw together meals.  Every Wednesday I'll post a recipe that fits this weekday profile.  Add yourself as a follower (see the lefthand side of the blog) and you should receive an automatic update with every new post.  If you have any issues with adding, post a comment and I'll be happy to see if I can help.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you are thinking!