About Me

I love to keep things fresh. Boredom makes me cringe. I believe in perseverance. Anything new and different inspires me. Photos and stories contained on this blog are my own. I create the majority of my recipes featured as well. If I adapt a recipe or find a great one to share from another source, I will give credit where it is due and a link to the original if at all possible. Please ask prior to using photos, writings and recipes and if using, please link to to the original source. Peace and Happy Blogging!

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Recipe: Chess Tart. Do you like Chess? If not, you will!

I love Martha Stewart Living magazine, especially the annual Easter edition. There is something about a change of season, whether Spring or Fall that gets me going.  I also especially love the October and November issues every year.  It's kind of like when you know you're going on vacation soon to somewhere new and the countdown begins.  Everyday you get closer, somehow daily chores get done easier, the workday flies by, you feel a little more cheerful than usual, maybe you get a little motivation to fit some extra exercise into the day, you know?  Eager anticipation for a break, something new, a change.  Not the same old cold weather, not the same exhausting heat.  The tide begins to turn.


So, the minute that I get my magazine I flip through quickly for the recipes that catch my eye.  Do you like to play Chess?  I remember my Dad made a beautiful Chess board and carved the pieces out of a broom stick.  He and my brother used to play often, seriously strategizing.  For some reason, as much as I knew that if I could learn to play, it must be a very interesting game.  Not to mention, the game seemed to take SO LONG that I figured, wow, it sure must be rewarding to win.  Some say that Chess is symbolic of life.  Well, I don't know what this means, but Chess never, ever kept my attention or interest long enough to learn.  I intended to learn and tried, but the game just didn't do it for me.  It seemed so complicated!  Is that why they say it is alot like life?  I sure as heck hope not!  Though sometimes, I guess it is.  I guess I should read up on why Chess Pie was named Chess Pie.  I'll get around to that eventually.

The cool thing about the tart recipe that I am about to share, that comes straight from the Martha Stewart Living Magazine April 2010 edition, is this:  It is called "Chess Tart" but is so far from any resemblance of the complicated Chess game that I never did get, that it kept my attention and is definitely going to get a replay in my kitchen.  It's a pretty twist on the classic Chess Pie.

Try it if you want to impress.  Try it if you want something sweet and divine.  Try it if you love simple recipes.  You will not regret it.  Promise.



Chess Tart (slightly modified version from Martha Stewart Living Magazine April 2010 edition)
Makes one 9 inch Tart. 
Serves:  10 - 12

Nifty Gadget:  9 inch fluted Tart pan with a removable bottom. (if you don't have this, you can experiment with other pans, or you can make Chess Squares, kind of like lemon squares in a brownie pan, thought the Tart pan makes for a really pretty presentation and is what the recipe is intended to be prepared in)

Here's the Tart Pan that I used:










In the magazine, a round tart pan was used.  Check the "Best of the Nest Community Store" out.  You will certainly find one there that works perfectly.  See the Link in the Left Sidebar.
Ingredients for the Tart Shell:
Vegetable oil cooking spray (or just wipe the pan down with Vegetable Oil on a Paper Towel)
1 1/4 Cups Ground Vanilla Wafers (about 45):  best method is to use food processor.
4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoons salt

Method for Tart Shell:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.  Make the tart shell:  Lightly Coat a 9 inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom with vegetable oil spray or by using a paper towel and vegetable oil.  Mix together ground vanilla wafers, butter, granulated sugar and salt.  Press mixture into bottom and up sides of pan.  Refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes.
2.  Transfer pan to a rimmed baking sheet and bake until tart shell is golden, about 12 - 14 minutes.  Let cool slightly.  Reduce oven to 325 Degrees.
3.  Make the filling.

Ingredients for Filling:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon of fine cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3 large eggs plus 1 large yolk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

Method for Tart Filling: 
1.  Mix together sugars, cornmeal and salt, breaking up clumps. 
2.  Whisk in eggs, yolk and vanilla. 
3.  Whisk in cooled melted butter.  Pour filling into tart shell.  Bake until top is dark golden brown and edge is set but center  is still a little jiggly, 30 - 40 minutes.  Check it every few minutes after 30 minutes in the oven. 
4.  Transfer pan to a wire rack, and let cool for 15 minutes.  Refrigerate until cooled, at least 2 hours or overnight.

Serve with a nice cup of Black Coffee.  It will compliment the richness of this dessert.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you are thinking!